10 unusual wine pairings in Cape Town
Chocolate and cheese have been the staple wine pairing favourites for quite some time, but wine estates are increasingly becoming more creative. We take a look at some of the unusually delicious pairings available for all you food and wine lovers.
- Cupcake and wine pairings at Delheim: Pop in at one of Cape Town’s winelands’ treasures and for only R75, enjoy a serving of four of their delicious wines, paired with four of their specially made cupcakes. Guests can expect to partake in a culinary experience of note as the flavours of the pomegranate, rooibos and pumpkin cupcakes complement the various wines. The tasting wines include rosé, Chenin Blanc, chardonnay and Pinotage. Booking is essential and this experience is available seven days a week.For more information, contact Delheim.
- Ice cream and wine pairing at Clos Malverne: The first estate in Stellenbosch to offer this unique pairing experience, Clos Malverne has since become known for their signature pairings with seasonal hand-made ice cream. At R75 per person, this wine estate boasts a seasonal selection of four ice creams paired with four wines. From salted caramel, lime and white chocolate ice cream paired with their in house Sauvignon Blanc to a dark chocolate, coffee meringue and caramel ice cream paired with their Pinotage. Booking is essential and this experience is available from Monday to Saturday.
- Pizza and wine pairing at Remhoogte: A family owned estate that boasts an African-style tasting room, guests can expect to enjoy their choice of a variety of gourmet pizzas paired with some of the estates’ best wines. A selection of six to eight wines can be sampled for R85 with a choice of anything from blue cheese and biltong to pulled pork belly pizzas. This tasting experience is available from Monday to Saturday, and booking is essential.
- Nougat and Bubbly pairing at JC Le Roux: There are few things as divine as a glass of bubbly, pair that with handcrafted nougat and you’re well on your way to culinary heaven. Against the backdrop of the vineyards, for R120 guests can sip on five Methode Cap Classiques paired with five pieces of nougat. Tastings are available from Monday to Saturday, and bookings are preferable.
- Artisanal salt and wine pairing at Fleur du Cap: Discover the unusual combination of Fleur du Cap wines and artisanal salts at daily wine tastings where handmade salted morsels meld with naturally crafted wines. Bookings are essential.
- Biltong and wine pairing at Marianne: The pairing of two South African greats, this tasting experience will not only have you feeling patriotic but will also take you on a culinary journey. With three carefully sourced biltong meats paired with five award-winning wines, guests can enjoy this and the Simonsberg surrounds for only R75 per person. Booking is essential.
- Cuisine and wine pairing at La Motte: For R200 per person, Presented by Pierneef à La Motte Restaurant’s Chef’s Table, La Motte’s internationally acknowledged food and wine tasting, pairs five La Motte wines with five tastings of cuisine created by Chef Michelle Theron. This tasting experience is available every Friday and booking is essential.
- Fudge and wine tasting at Plaisir De Merle: Indulge in their relaxed lounge atmosphere while sipping on the Plaisir De Merle wine range classics paired with the decadence of handmade fudge, for only R50. Tastings are done throughout the year but bookings are essential.
For those of you who don’t want to stray too far from the traditional, below are options for the classic cheese and chocolate wine pairings too.
- Chocolate and wine pairing at Durbanville Hills: Decadence personified, guests can expect to sample some Durbanville Hills favourite wines while enjoying limited edition chocolates with exotically rich flavourings like Milk Cape Malay spice and white lemon. For just R70 this experience is a definite favourite. Bookings are essential.
- Cheese and wine pairing at Fairview: For R75 cheese and wine lovers can enjoy a selection of six wines with a range of delicious Fairview cheeses. This estate does well to not skimp on the cheese offerings and guests can enjoy at their own leisure. This experience is available from Monday to Sunday and bookings are essential.