The best food deals for winter
Winter to many people is synonymous with comfort food. From yummy soups and bakes to curries and pastas, but if you aren’t as skilful as Sarah Graham in the kitchen you may be more tempted to dine out. Moneybags writer Danielle Van Wyk looks at some of the delicious winter restaurant specials you can advantage of this season without having to break the bank.
- Royale Eatery: If a good burger is what you are after, then popping by Royale Eatery between 12-5pm Monday to Thursday will prove worth your while. For R50 you can choose between a classic cheese burger, vegetarian cheese burger, falafel salad bowl, chicken salad and a two-topping pizza. Burgers are served with a choice of sides that include sweet potato fries, normal fries or salad.
- Arcade: Situated in the heart of Cape Town’s ‘good food strip’ on Bree, this trendy spot boasts Monday to Thursday specials.
The specials are as follows:
- On Tuesday, you can enjoy two for one pizza special between 12:00 and 20:00.
- On Wednesday, buy one burger and get another free.
- On Thursday, enjoy two for one pizza and two for one burger specials.
- From Tuesday to Thursday, get two for one draught beers.
- Simply Asia: Whether you are craving a traditional Thai green curry or a tempura prawns, Simply Asia with their 20% off when you order any one of their 11 new dishes between Monday and Wednesday, will have you covered. Valid until 31 August, this special is perfect for a midweek treat.
- Alforno: An authentic Italian restaurant that offers a daily special between 12:00 – 19:00. For R75 you can choose between one of three pizzas or pastas, and a glass of either white or red house wine. If slow cooked traditional bolognaise and authentic wood fire pizza gets you going then Alforno is a must.
- Beerhouse: Exactly as the name suggests, this laid back gem is situated on one of Cape Town’s busiest streets and boasts with not only a great selection of beer but also a lively atmosphere. Treat yourself to their R60 daily lunch special with a beer. To see what today’s special is, visit their site.
- Pepperclub: If fine dining is more your style then the Pepperclub hotel has something for you. For R95 you can enjoy one of their five choices of main meals with a glass of white wine..
- Bootlegger: Get your day off to a good start with Bootlegger’s breakfast special that includes a cup of coffee and an egg and bacon combo. Valid from 8am daily, pop down to your local Bootleggers and score.
- Sgt Pepper: Renowned for their pizza, swing by Sgt Pepper on a Tuesday and Thursday to cash in on specials. Tuesday’s boast with a buy-one-get-one-free pizza special all day, while Thursday’s special offers a free 330ml draught beer with every burger ordered.
- Barcelos: As part of their birthday celebration Barcelos is offering a daily R23, 45 daily special where you can treat yourself to a quarter chicken, breast or leg portion subject to availability, and your choice of one side.
- Bukhara: From the aroma of freshly ground spices greeting you at the door to their authentic Indian décor, Bukhara is of the best Indian cuisine around. This winter they are running a lunch special at their branch in Church Street, Cape Town. The deal is available between 11:00 and 15:00; and includes vegetarian dishes for R69, and a lamb keema wrap for R79.
- Beluga: Very few things brighten a grey day like the prospect of good sushi. For this reason, Beluga is offering half price on their sushi, dim sum and cocktails from 12:00 to 19:00, from Monday to Saturday.
- Col’ Cacchio: One of South Africa’s best loved pizza restaurants, Col’Cacchio, is offering a two for one pizza promotion between 1 May and 31 August 2017. Buy a gourmet pizza and get second pizza of your choice for free. Available all day on Mondays nationwide.
- Kloof Street House: Come and enjoy great cuisine in an eclectic setting with Kloof Street House’s brand new winter lunch special. Running from Tuesday to Saturdays between 12:00 and 17:00, enjoy two courses for R160 and three courses for R195.
- Bardelli’s: Tucked away in the heart of Cape Town, you can enjoy a taste of Italy. With two for one pasta and soup specials on a Tuesday and 50% off all bottled wine specials on a Thursday, you’re going to want to make Bardelli’s your next stop.
- Clarke’s bar & dining room: Think traditional American diner meets trendy bar spot and you’ll arrive at Clarke’s. From their rustic interior to their great burgers and fun cocktails, you’re going to want to pay a visit. On Tuesday’s from 18:00 – 19:00 enjoy a two for one burger special on cheeseburgers or zucchini and beet burgers for R95.
*The above specials are correct as of 19 July, 2017.