Budget winter weddings 2015
If you want to save money on your wedding day, then getting married in the coldest season of the year (winter) will help you do just that, finds Angelique Ruzicka.
Spring and summer may be the ideal seasons to get married. The birds are chirping, the lambs are frolicking and everyone is generally in a better mood than they were in the dreary winter months. However if you are on a tight budget, then getting married in the winter will save you lots of money.
“It’s a given that most brides want to avoid the rain and cold for their wedding day. Winter isn’t the season most brides choose to get married, but those who either love winter or have a strict budget may opt for a winter wedding,” points out Claire Minnaar, owner of two wedding websites, www.celebration.co.za and www.trouinspirasie.co.za.
Minnaar says it’s very difficult to estimate the exact cost of a wedding but believes that most weddings cost between R70 000 – R150 000. Not many can afford this amount of money to get hitched but a quick hunt online shows that in the winter months couples can get discounts of up to 50% when it comes to wedding hire, décor hire, wedding dress hire/purchases, florists, and photography to name a few (see deals below).
But Minnaar says the amount you save all depends on your wedding requirements, such as number of guests and the type of wedding theme. “You generally find the wedding venues give discounts around this time and, in my experience, so do specific service providers like photographers and videographers. However, companies who are Décor or Hiring Services don’t necessarily discount,” says Minnaar.
Minnaar explains that you can generally save the most when it comes to venues, photographers and honeymoon accommodation. A quick search online comes up with several such vendors whose discounts and specials run from around April 2015 – August/September 2015.
But even if your desired venue doesn’t have a deal or special advertised, there’s no reason why you can’t negotiate a deal. “I personally feel that one must communicate with vendors openly about their budgets and let the vendors decide if they are prepared to offer a discount or not,” says Minnaar.
“It’s also good to do your homework and find out what other companies are offering, so you can compare. If a vendor of choice’s pricing is massively different from others offering the same service(s), get some clarity from them, but do so respectfully.
“When getting costing, consider asking vendors to break down their costs so you can find items you can exclude to reduce costs. This works well for wedding venues,” adds Minnaar.
Pros of getting married in winter
There are many benefits to getting married in the winter and Minnaar points out a few:
- You would most likely be able to book wedding vendors you would really like to use.
- There are more discounts available during winter which is perfect for the budget conscious bride.
- Reduced travelling costs – if your guests need to travel from abroad, flights and accommodation are generally cheaper in winter.
- Winter is a beautiful time of year for photos and scenery.
- Higher attendance – people tend to go out less during winter, so more guests are likely to attend your wedding
- Cakes, flowers, favours, etc., last longer and there’s less chance of withering or melting.
- You get to incorporate some awesome bridal wear items like fake faux, coloured jackets, gloves, boleros, etc.
- Great opportunity to incorporate different lighting for late afternoon / evening weddings as it gets darker earlier – think fairy lights and lanterns.
- There are great winter colour combos for winter to choose from!
- No need to worry about having a tan! Most of the wedding guests won’t have one either!
Of course there are downsides to getting married in winter too, points out Minnaar:
- It is a bit colder so you do need to make sure the venue will keep you and your guests warm.
- An outdoor wedding may not work if it rains.
- The flowers you may want to use in your wedding may not be available.
- Some people are a bit “sticky” about going out in winter.
- If the weather isn’t good, your photos will have to be taken indoors only.
Having a winter wedding can be tricky, but if you manage it right you can mitigate the problems. “At any time of the year your wedding could have bad weather, but you are pushing your luck a little more when having your wedding mid-winter. You need to have a plan if your original one is to do your ceremony and photos outside and it rains,” points out Minnaar.
While the wedding should mostly be about the bride and the groom and their financial needs it’s important to take care of your guests too. “Consider your guests and their comfort levels and consider having blankets available, which adds colour to your wedding décor, warm drinks and heaters,” advises Minnaar.
Ultimately, the weather is not something you can control but the savings may well be worthwhile, especially if you stumble across a great winter deal (some of which we have listed below). “Hope for the best, but expect the worst! If you’ve chosen to have a winter wedding, things may not go according to plan. Be prepared to embrace the experience and take each thing in your stride on the day,” says Minnaar.
Budget Winter Wedding Deals 2015
Moneybags has done a round up of a few wedding specialists who are doing specials and discounts for weddings this year.
The White Cloth Company
Wedding planning and décor specialists, The White Cloth Company is offering a 15% discount on hiring orders over R1, 500 till August 2015.
For more information, click here.
Oerwerzicht in Greyton is offering a 25% discount on the venue fee.
For more information, click here.
Get a R2000 discount hiring a wedding dress from Weddings by Design
At Weddings by Design you can hire and buy wedding dresses. The shop is co-owned by mother Suzette Parker and daughter Nicky von Eckenbrecher and this duo often make up winter specials for the wedding dresses that they hire out to brides on a budget.
For just R5, 500 you can hire an imported wedding dress from New York or Paris. The usual price in the spring/summer months is R7, 500. For the winter deal, pay a R2, 500 deposit and you only need to pay the rest of the amount one month before the wedding. Design names include Maggie Sottero, Pronovia, Demetrious, Cosmobella and Enzoani. They work from their home in Durbanville and viewings are conducted by appointment only.
Work: +27 (0)21 976 7294
Mobile: +27 (0)82 336 6606
Valid from April 2015 till 31 August 2015.
Tammy Holliday Photography
Get a free night shoot and a free photo booth with your price plan for weddings from 1 April 2015 – 31 August 2015.
Mobile: +27 (0)83 479 9732
Kloofzicht Lodge and Spa
Get a 50% discount on the venue hire for May, June, July and August.
Contact: Ingrid Smith on +27 (0)11 317 0600
Everwood Country Weddings
You pay R30, 000 for a wedding with 100 guests. It includes welcome drinks, sparkling wine and a three course dinner in the banqueting hall. This offer is valid for Fridays and Sundays until August 2015.
Contact: Vanessa Cooper
Mobile: +27 (0)83 384 5002
The Fairway Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Get 80% off on the venue hire and 50% off on accommodation for the wedding guests.
Contact No: +27 (0)11 478 8000
Contact No: +27 (0)86 114 8866
Click here for more information, click here.
Pink Energy Weddings & Flowers
Book their service and get the flowers at your ceremony for free. The deal is valid till end of August 2015.
Contact: Tangerine on her cell: + 27 (0)83 200 7641
Are you getting married this winter, but have not yet booked your wedding flowers? Book a service with Pink Energy and they will include the flowers at your ceremony for free.
- 1 x large flower arrangement or 1 x arch floral piece (estimate value R 450)
- 12 x single or two flowers tied to the side of the pews with organza ribbon (6 each side) (estimate value R 600)
- Fresh rose petals for confetti (1 box sufficient for 100 guests) or to strew down the aisle (estimate value R 450)
Note: They only take on a limited number of weddings per season. Please contact them to check if they are available on your wedding date.
Placing an order with them is simply:
- Contact them via e-mail (email@example.com).
- They will put together a full quotation for you after which you can come and see them for a complimentary consultation.
- Place your order and sign service agreement with them.
- Get your ceremony flowers for free!
T’s and C’s are simple:
- Only valid for Winter weddings (May to August 2015)
- Special is only applicable if you order all your wedding flowers through us, including your reception guest table centrepieces, bouquets, etc.
- Total of complimentary ceremony flowers may not exceed R 1500.
- No other discounts will be made on your order.
- Hiring or purchasing of décor costs are not included in this special, this is on flowers only.
- Only in season flowers available in those months can be used, exclusions are Proteas, Hydrangeas (out of season) and Anthiriums as they will not fit into the amount the prize may not exceed – the balance will be for your account if you want to include those flowers.
- You should have at least 100 guests. Should you have less than 100 guests, please contact us anyway and we will offer you a savings up to our discretion as it will not be covered by this special.