Shake your way to fitness
There is an array of health shakes on the market today promising you that miracle body after a few sips. But what’s on offer and are there different types? N2 Fitness gurus, Heinrich Smith and Emile Solomons, give us some advice on what to consider before buying into that ‘miracle’ health shake.
According to Smith, the industry of nutritional supplements has been around for a very long time and because it is here to stay, you need to know the good from the bad. “Not knowing can affect your health or you may end up spending a lot of money on supplements that do not work,” says Smith.
There are different types of shakes: a meal replacement and a meal supplement. Meal replacement shakes are consumed in the place of a regular meal. Meal supplement shakes are used as a supplement, and do not replace any of the main meals.
There are a number of factors including price, quality and availability that may affect your decision on what to buy.
A few guidelines when it comes to buying your next health shake:
- Educate yourself on what you want to get out of your shake/supplement.
- Shop around for the best price.
- Read the information list/nutritional guide at the back of the product.
- Know how different proteins have different effects on the body.
- Don’t just buy a supplement according to the name brand you might end up paying more.
- Avoid the following ingredients in your supplement/shake: high-fructose corn syrup, maltodextrin, fructose, and dextrose.
- Avoid supplements/shakes that are high in saturated fats.
- Look at the calories to make sure that it complements your exercise routine/goal.
- If you use any chronic medication, make sure to consult with your doctor before buying any supplements or meal replacement shakes.