Will my insurer cover me if I am retrenched?

Angelique Ruzicka looks at the complexities surrounding income protection insurance and finds out whether providers cover retrenchment as part of their benefits.

You never know when unexpected injuries or illnesses may occur to stop you from working and earning an income. These life changing moments, while perhaps temporary could still create major financial upheaval for you and your family.

Income protection and disability cover will pay out if you cannot work for a short period of time (say couple of weeks if you need to recover from a car accident, for example) or you are permanently unable to perform your occupation due to illness or injury. It’s a necessary product to take out, particularly if you have dependents that rely on your income, say the experts.

What does income protection insurance include and exclude?

Income protection insurance pays a regular income every month that can replace your income for the period that you are unable to work, which can be a relatively short period or until you would have retired. “If you select a product that covers you for the whole of your life, and you have an impairment at retirement, it can pay even past your retirement age. The pay-out is made if you cannot work for an extended period or you are permanently unable to perform your occupation due to illness or injury. It can also pay a temporary disability income and cover overhead expenses for individuals who run their own business or professional practice,” explains Karen Bongers, product development actuary at Sanlam Individual Life.

A sickness benefit included in some income protection offerings, like Sanlam’s, is particularly important since most people only have limited paid sick leave days. But it’s even more beneficial for self-employed and freelancing professionals who don’t get any paid sick leave.

“Make sure that you choose a true sickness benefit – one that requires only a sick note to claim, as opposed to a benefit that only offers a degree of sickness cover. There are some that specify various additional requirements before a claim will be accepted,” says Bongers.

While many insurers offer this kind of protection in the event that you become disabled or injured (temporarily or permanently) it won’t cover you in the event that you become retrenched. If you are going through retrenchment read our story here about how you can cope during this difficult period.

Also take note of any waiting periods that your insurer is likely to enforce. Make sure that you can cover your income through the waiting period with your savings. Get a financial advisor to help you get the right cover if you feel the waiting periods you are being made to follow would be too onerous on your pocket.

What am I likely to pay?

The premium differs according to individual risk and amount of cover chosen. But let’s look at the hypothetical example of Sarah aged 30 who earns a R40, 000 salary who buys income protection cover through Sanlam. She’s an actuary and a smoker and she pays an annual premium escalation of 5%. She could get income protection cover, which includes an extended disability income policy. It would cover her for R30, 000 a month for a monthly premium of R176.40.

Who offers it?

Most insurers, such as Sanlam and Old Mutual offer general income protection. There’s also smaller providers like Frank.net that offer the product. Only a handful (PPS and Sanlam) offer a pure sickness benefit.

The key is to shop around and get the best amount of cover that you can afford. Talk to a financial advisor or broker if you are uncertain about the product or not sure about which provider to go for.


Think insulin resistance, and terms such as glucose and prediabetic come to mind. But what does it mean? Moneybags journalist Danielle Van Wyk explores insulin resistance and the warning signs.

These days, the word ‘surrogacy’ often tends to be attached to the name of someone famous like Kim Kardashian, Nicole Kidman or even Elton John. In addition to the process being glamourised we often hear that these surrogates are also being paid big money. But is this an accurate depiction of surrogacy?

star For only R93.90, you can get 12 hot wings, four sliders and two regular chips when you visit Chicken Licken for the soul mates classic party special.

Once new burial options are introduced, a portion of the daily dead may find new resting grounds outside of burials and cremations. Moneybags journalist, Isabelle Coetzee, has a look at alternatives and their costs.

star Surprise your loved ones with the Spur 4 Burgers 2 Go combo. Buy 4 burgers and 330ml of Coke served with chips and onion rings for only R275.

Drop by Folk Cafe for some thirst quenching special. Buy one and get one Cluver and Jack cider everyday between 2pm and 7pm.

Picking up and being able to travel on a whim is everyone’s dream, right? Whether it’s to the ancient pyramids in Egypt or the endless white beaches and blue waters in Sardinia, the luxury and ease of it all just appeals. But, you’ve decided to explore the prospect of parenthood. And while you can’t wait for the ‘joy’ that comes with it, there are a few must-sees before you take the parenting plunge.

Breastfeeding is both beautiful and natural -  or so they say. However, it could also mean rock-hard painful breasts, leaking through breast pads and spraying milk as you’re trying to get your baby to latch. Especially if you’re one of those women who have a surplus of breast milk.