Zama Memela's strawberry plantain couscous with ox liver
Try out celebrity chef Zama Memela’s strawberrty plantain couscous with ox liver to impress your guests and save yourself some money in the process. Memela is the founder of pop up restaurant EasyEating.
2 tbsp. Olive oil
2 cups Cooking oil
2 tbsp. Couscous
3 Plantains (half-moon slices)
1 Punnet of strawberries (slices)
250g Sundried tomatoes (Julienne)
3 Red onions (diced)
A bunch of rosemary
1/4 Cup sugar
2 tbsp. Sweet chilli sauce
4 Fresh green chillies (finely chopped)
A bunch of basil
500g Ox liver (strips)
Salt & pepper
2 Cups boiling water
1. Deep fry plantain slices until golden brown. Pat dry with absorbent paper and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil and sauté onions with rosemary & sprinkle sugar. Allow caramelizing then add strawberry slices. Allow to simmering for 5min. Add chopped basil & set aside.
3. Pan Fry Ox Liver strips in a separate sauce pan until medium rare (+- 8min)
4. Add 2- 3 cups boiling water to couscous in a bowl and allow to it to absorb until couscous is light and fluffy.
5. Add strawberry mix to the couscous, season with salt & pepper.
Place strawberry couscous in the centre of the dish and fray ox liver on top. Garnish with a fresh strawberry.
Cost of couscous with ox liver (As per Pick n Pay pricelist)
Olive oil will cost you R13.99 per 50ml
For cooking Oil you pay R18.49 per 750ml
You will pay R30 for 500g of couscous
Plantain goes for R10 each
1 punnet of strawberries will cost you R26.99
250g Sundried Tomatoes (Julienne) costs R20 per 250g
Red Onions are R25/kg
1 bunch Rosemary – R5
1/4 cup sugar – R6.50/500g
2 tbsps. Sweet Chilli Sauce – R17.50 per 375ml
4 Fresh Green Chillies (finely chopped) – R40 per kg
1 bunch Basil – R5
500g Ox Liver (available at Flashmeats butchery) for R28/kg
Total cost for ingredients: R246